May 3 game night at Northcote Library

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
melissa

May 3 game night at Northcote Library

Post by melissa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 pm

I've just been to meet with the people at Northcote Library who are running a game night as part of their "Geek Week" festival.

http://www.darebin-libraries.vic.gov.au ... &Year=2013

Date: Friday 3 May
Times: Kids session: 4:00 - 5:15pm; Adults session: 5:30 – 8:00pm

I'll take some demo games and the Boardgames Australia banner. If anyone is interested in volunteering to help demo games on the night, please let me know (also if there is anything useful like you have a working with children check - they didn't ask about this but I do have one).

This is a public event. People will be bringing their own favourite games and there will be a Connect 4 tournament running as well. I'm looking for people who are happy to talk about games and to play with strangers who might not be as into games as we are, or as knowledgeable.

Also, if you would like to come along and play games, then please do! The more the merrier (within reason).

If we do get a group together, we could go get dinner afterwards. There's a Lamb's just down the road, or I'm sure there's pizza nearby as well.

kerrin

Re: May 3 game night at Northcote Library

Post by kerrin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Hey Melissa

I can come for both sessions and bring my family kit of games. Happy to demo and teach games.

Kerrin :D

melissa

Post by melissa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

That's great, Kerrin. And Lambs afterwards? It's a long session - we'll be working up a hunger.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm interested - it's my local.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

melissa

Post by melissa » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 am

Great! What time do you plan to be there? And as a demoer or a player?

I'll be there just before 4pm, with games and a Boardgames Australia banner.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:30 am

I can get there at the start. I'll bring a couple of entry-level games - and see if I can find Chrononaughts by then.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

urbaer

Post by urbaer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 am

Will be there for the 5:30 session, can bring a couple of my light fillery games.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

I can join you at 4, Melissa, and will stay through. I'm happy to demo, teach or play.
I also have a friend who may be able to come around 5.30, as a player-demo assistant. Will confirm this later.

I'll bring games, but could people say what games they are bringing so as not to double up too much?
Games I can bring: Standards: Alhambra, Carc (standard or H&G), TtR (most version), Settlers (standard, Germany), Ingenious
Light, easy ice-breakers: Hanabi, Lascaux, Witches Brew, Fistful of Penguins
New: Takeneko, Tweeeet
Many more, let me know if there's anything you'd like me to bring.

melissa

Post by melissa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:24 pm

This is brilliant. I will bring some bright orange ribbon or similar to tie around wrists or pin on, so people can see at a glance who is there to demo.

I'm going to focus mainly on kids' games, I think. Also games that work well for demos, like Pandemic - but ideally nothing that takes more than about an hour to play. Some of the kids' games also work well for adults (coughFaunacough). Classics like Carcassonne are always a hit, as well. I'll try to put up a list later in the week.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Forgot to mention, Melissa, I do have a current WWCC as well. :)

melissa

Post by melissa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Great. I forgot to mention the WWC checks when I met with them, but I think it's a good thing for us to be able to show when we are doing demos like this.

kerrin

Post by kerrin » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am

The games in my "family kit" are

Apples to Apples
Bohnanza
Carcassonne
Catch a Match
Dixit
Fauna
Halli Galli
Incan Gold
Kaker-Laken Salat
Make n Break x 3
No Thanks
Pack & Stack
Parade
Pick Picknic
Qwirkle
Rory's Story Cubes
Sequence
Set
Sherlock
Sleeping Queens x 4
Ticket To Ride
Tsuro
Uluru
Water Lily

looking forward to it :-)

melissa

Post by melissa » Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Excellent list, Kerrin.

I'll have a better look tonight but I can bring backups of a couple of them, also Apples to Apples Kids, Spooky Stairs, Nelly, Sorts for Kids - and a selection of adult games including the Dr Who cardgame. It is Geek Week, after all.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Good list, Kerrin.
Because you already include TtR and Carcassone, I won't bring mine (well, might bring Carc H&G still), but will add Ra and Coloretto.

I don't have many games for the youngest kids, but I'll also bring Cartegna and Forbidden Island for 'older' kids.
I'll also add Clocks (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113301/clocks) and Timeline: History to the 'new' games.

All of these can be taught in about 10-15 min, and take 45-60 minutes to play on average.

See you all later. :)

melissa

Post by melissa » Fri May 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Look forward to seeing you all there. I will be there as early as possible - school pickup at 3:30 then racing up so might not be much before 4. I'll bring game 'splainer ribbons too.