International Games Day @ your library - 4 venues this year!

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.

Which International Games Day @ your library venues will you attend?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 pm

St Kilda Library
50%
State Library of Victoria
25%
Melbourne City Library
No votes
Footscray Library
No votes
My local library - DIY IGD guerilla-gamer style! (tell us which is your local in the comments)
No votes
Other
No votes
None
25%

Total votes: 4

PMin

International Games Day @ your library - 4 venues this year!

Post by PMin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi everyone!

Some of you may recall that last year I organised (Inter)national Gaming Day @ your library at the State Library of Victoria, in the Experimedia room. It was a great day - venue staff counted 90 people attending, many there all day.

Well, it's on again, bigger and better than ever! And officially International this time. This year it's Saturday the 3rd of November (I know, I know... Cup weekend... but if you're still in town it'll be a break from the geegees) and there will be a global game of Gossip that will start here in Melbourne and move west around the world from library to library and timezone to timezone, finishing in Hawai'i after a marathon 28 hours.

The SLV is hosting an event again, and City library is joining in the CBD fun. I hear there will even be a games hamper as a prize!

I don't get to go, though, because my own library service has decided to host an event this year, and I've been tapped to organise that. That will be at St Kilda Library, from 10-4 pm. (Meetup link here.)

I also hear that Maribyrnong Library is holding a games day.

And the final option for your gaming pleasure, if none of the above suit you... your own local library. I have a secret: when I organised the IGD at the State Library last year, I did so with no official sanction from the SLV (though plenty of moral support from staff) - I just told them ahead of time I was going to turn up with a bunch of games and gamers and we were going to play.

Well, most libraries these days are open to this sort of public use. So if you can't make it to the places you know other gamers are going to be, create your own event! I'll link it from here and other places I'm promoting the day.

Please come if you can. Libraries are slowly starting to twig to how awesome games are - let's give them some love. By gaming! (Of course... what other way is there?)

Comments, ideas, suggestions, questions all welcome. Please let me know if you're interested in attending one or more events! I'll update this listing as I hear more details about everything.

Thanks everyone!
Phil
Last edited by PMin on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PMin

Re: International Games Day @ your library - 4 venues this year!

Post by PMin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Correction - it's Footscray Library, not Maribyrnong Library!

MooseHead

Photos: St Kilda

Post by MooseHead » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Photos: (Click to enlarge)
Image Image Image Image