Occasional Age Of Steam Group?

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
Unhalfbricking

Occasional Age Of Steam Group?

Post by Unhalfbricking » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I have realised that I have the original AoS, plus all 4 official expansions & the Moon / Mars maps, but have never actually managed to get them to the table, as Doug Partridge was always the catalyst for getting AoS (as well as the Empire Builder/Rails series) played.

I'd like to find a group of 4-5 people who'll meet every couple of weeks on Sunday at my place to play AoS exclusively. Starting at 6pm & breaking for dialled-in pizza midway.

PM me if you're interested, please
Regards
Julian

bsmith
Site Admin

Re: Occasional Age Of Steam Group?

Post by bsmith » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 am

I would be up for it if it wasn't Sunday night, that's shirt-ironing time for me. :)
Uninstalling dictator ... 99% complete ███████████████████████████░ -ERROR-

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Shirt ironing? Thought you worked from home!

When are we going to get MR done? Took me 1 hour to set up the bloody board first time today!

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Shirt ironing? Thought you worked from home!
Haven't you heard of video conferencing?
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:24 am

shawn_low wrote:Shirt ironing? Thought you worked from home!

When are we going to get MR done? Took me 1 hour to set up the bloody board first time today!
The setup is the easiest part, it falsely gives the impression the game will be simple. :D

When I know the rules backwards. :D Give me 12 months, I'm working on it; Thankfully I love learning curves! MR gives the impression you really have to know it well to appreciate it.
Uninstalling dictator ... 99% complete ███████████████████████████░ -ERROR-

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 am

MR?

gerald

Post by gerald » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am

Aaaand back on topic...
Unhalfbricking wrote:I have realised that I have the original AoS, plus all 4 official expansions & the Moon / Mars maps[...]
I'd like to find a group of 4-5 people who'll meet every couple of weeks on Sunday at my place to play AoS exclusively. Starting at 6pm & breaking for dialled-in pizza midway.
I can't promise every Sunday, but a few would be nice...

I'd also be interested in trying the different flavours: Steam, Railroad Tycoon, Railways of :?:, etc.

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Sam and I wish we could attend... but Fairfield on a Sunday evening is a bit too far for us.

Also, Gerald, if you have any of the other rail games and want to play at Billabong, count us in!
Last edited by ms_emily_strange on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerald

Post by gerald » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 pm

ms_emily_strange wrote:Also, Gerald, if you have any of the other rail games and want to play at Billabong, count us in!
In the "Steam" family, I've only got Railroad Tycoon, I'll bring it next time... Can someone teach us?

In the larger train category, I've got RailRoad Dice, Eurorails, 1870, Railway Rivals, Ticket to Ride, etc.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm

ms_emily_strange wrote:but Fawkner on a Sunday evening is a bit too far for us.
Just as well Julian doesn't live in Fawkner then. ;-)

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:01 pm

gerald wrote: In the "Steam" family, I've only got Railroad Tycoon, I'll bring it next time... Can someone teach us?
I have the original AoS along with the first 4 expansions. I'll bring them along unless I get burned out at Julian's on Sundays (and that's assuming I get to Julian's).
I suspect I could teach RT after a quick refresh of the rulebook since its pretty similar to the original.

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Duncan wrote:Just as well Julian doesn't live in Fawkner then. ;-)
Oops, my bad. All the same, still quite a drive for us.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

gerald wrote:In the "Steam" family, I've only got Railroad Tycoon, I'll bring it next time... Can someone teach us?
I can teach Railroad Tycoon, and have the Rails of Europe map as well which I think is significantly better than the US one. But I'd love to give AoS a go if someone brings it.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:42 pm

bsmith wrote:The setup is the easiest part, it falsely gives the impression the game will be simple. :D

When I know the rules backwards. :D Give me 12 months, I'm working on it; Thankfully I love learning curves! MR gives the impression you really have to know it well to appreciate it.
I'd raise my hand to teach, however I'm dependent on my own home-made monster chits made from the updated MR chits that have all the monster data on them. The original chits were really badly designed and required you to cross-check a table in the manual to use. I think stuff like "Is Armoured?" or "Vulnerability Level" is missing from the original chits. I'd gladly bring my own chits to play though, all neatly setup in a plano box that replaces the Monster chart. Saves that 1 hour of setup on the get go.

MR is really not too bad to learn, but the Combat is tough, especially when you've got Natives involved. And don't get me started on about Mounted Heroes/Natives. :p

gregor

Post by gregor » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 pm

I've got the original AoS as well, with a number of maps, and am happy to bring it.

And dampfross, eurorails, railroad dice, hellrail, Prarie rails, Pampas rails, 1825. Sigh.

I've got another game lined up for next Billabong, but any after that.