Go west, young gamer... to the monthly Werbrary Games.

Backgammon, chess, bridge etc.
Avatrix

Go west, young gamer... to the monthly Werbrary Games.

Post by Avatrix » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 pm

There are many good game groups in our fair city but there was a paucity of Westie boardgame venues - luckily the Werribee Library were interested in a proposal to host. One trial run later and here we are, with an invite to you, gentle gamer, to partake of the monthly Werbrary Games. Hope to see you there! :smt006

Tell your friends, tell your family, (don't tell your boss, if you work on Saturdays and plan to skive off and come play)...

WHAT: Social tabletop gaming for the discerning gentleman and lady. Youths and children must be appropriately accompanied.

WHERE: Werribee Library, 177 Watton street, Werribee (http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/wy ... h/werribee)

WHEN: 4th Saturday of the Month, 10 - 3.

Ah, the lunchtime dilemma for mid-game gamers!... I'm happy to tell you that the library is tolerant of responsible snacking on the premises, there are an abundance of cafes close by for more robust repast.

WHO: Contact Rachel 0409344453 or pm Avatrix or KonradwithaK here or via BGG.

ALL WELCOME!

KonradwithaK

Re: Go west, young gamer... to the monthly Werbrary Games.

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 am

Just a reminder - Werbrary Games is on tomorrow, 26/10, as per details above. :)

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 am

The next session will be the fourth Saturday of the month as usual, in this case 23rd November.

And it will be a special event in that we will be the central activity of the 'International Games Day at your Library' (http://www.melbournegamers.com/viewtopi ... 452#p15452), in which the Werribee Library is participating. It would be great if there were not only good numbers of regular gamers but library users playing as well. Come prepared to play, and also to beguile.

It will also be a special day because it will be the final session for 2013. But wait, there'll be more playing in 2014, no worries.

See you the 23rd, 10 - 3.30(ish). :smt006

Games played during the year include:
Francis Drake
Terra Mystica
Carcassone (+Traders/Builder and Inns/Cathedrals)
Guildhall
Forbidden Desert
Blue Moon City
Settlers of Cataan - Germany
Power Grid
Ingenious
Snowdonia
...and More (no Mu)

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:14 am

Once again, that's Webrary Games (+ International Games Day at your Library), this Saturday, 23/11, 10 - 3.30.
Be seeing you.

KonradwithaK

Werbrary Games, now on break

Post by KonradwithaK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Werbrary Games is taking a break for part of the summer. There will be no WG this month or in January, but we will resume in February, 2014.
Dates for next year are: 22/2, 22/3, 26/4, 24/5, 28/6, 26/7, 23/8, 27/9, 25/10, and 22/11*

In the planning stage for next year: Themes for Game Day. These are still to be decided; information will be posted here when available.

Enjoy your summer, see you in February. :)

*subject to scheduling of ConVic

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 am

Just to confirm, Werbrary Games for 2014 resumes this Saturday (22/2) at the Werbrary library, Watton Street, Werribee, from 10am - 3.30pm.

There are now several near-city or city-based game venues to choose from each month, e.g., Games Lab Saturdays or NSEG Sundays.
Werbrary Games is open to anyone who wants to come, but especially those who live 'way out west' and want somewhere to play close to home.

This first session for the year will remain themeless, but we are still considering themes for other months. March has St. Patrick's day, and also Labour Day. Anyone know of any Irish games? Or there's 'green' games (did I hear Friedemann Friese mentioned? Or maybe CO2 or 20th Century).
Of course, Labour Day should be ideal for (what else?) worker placement games. Or better yet, worker nonplacement games, like Strajk!, the new Polish game about the Gdansk dock strike that had the eventual effect of breaking up the USSR.

Other themes being considered for later in the year: Australian and/or Edwardian era games for Anzac Day weekend, and pirates for September.
Feel free to suggest your own favourite game theme if you like (cause we all know how important themes are in the games we play :lol: )

Hope to see you Saturday. We may not play late but we play well so pull up a chair and play a spell. :)

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:37 pm

So, your workers had a day off last week, eh? A regular long weekend. Well, tell them they can make up for it this weekend at Werbrary Library Games.
As mentioned last month, this Saturday, in honour of March's Labour Day, the 'theme' is worker placement games. All those games where you send your many minions out to do a lot of things every round, so you can get the points to claim to be the best boss. Or something like that.
But be careful, if they're not happy, the may go on Strajk!, with Lech Welesa leading the way. Of course, some of them have had field days in the jungles of Tikal and Tikal II, and many have worked hard on railways in Snowdonia. Even hired gunslingers have been know to put in a hard day's slog in Carson City.

Bring out your best, bring out your worst, bring any game you feel like, or don't bring anything at all and just play what's there, but come Saturday (22/3), Werribee Library, Watton St., 10-3(ish).

Sorry for the late notice, I think it was February's fault for not having enough days.
KS

Avatrix

Host needed - April Werbrary Games session.

Post by Avatrix » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi folks, the April Werbrary Games session needs a host, as both Konrad and I are out of town.
It's 10-3 on Saturday 26th April, Werribee Library, Watton Street.
Requires taking some games, welcoming people and playing the games! I'm happy to lend my games for it if you don't have any to take.
If you're interested, post here or drop me a line today, I'll be confirming whether it needs to be cancelled with the library tomorrow morning.
Thanks, Rachel

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi everyone. Just to confirm that Webrary games will be running next week, on 26th April, thanks to Kerrin volunteering to be organiser for the day. Usual hours (10am - 3.00pm), usual place (Werribee Library, Watton Street, Werribee).
It's Anzac Day weekend. Might be a good day for games by Aus/NZ designers, or Aus/NZ games. Anyone for Rum Rebellion? No, it's a game, the library will not allow that spirit on the premises.

Have a good time, see you in May.
KS

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Everyone
It's June, and it's on again, Saturday, 28/6. Usual time, usual place.

I have a copy of another Polish board game to learn/teach/demo: W Zakladzie (In the Department), for 3-6 players. If you liked Kolejka (Queue), how about giving this one a try with me.

Cheers,
Konrad

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 am

So now it's July, and we're on again this Saturday (26/7), usual time, usual place.
It being July, and in remembrance of Bastille Day, does anyone have, want to bring, or know of any particularly French themed games? Ah, yes, Guillotine. Any others? Does Rococo count? Regardless of what you have, march on down to the library Saturday.

I have W Zakl ready to go this time, and even have one play under the belt. Would like to get another go before Gaming in the Meadows in Laverton on the 2/8.
Wait, W Zakl's not French! No, it's Polish, but I'm bringing it anyway.

Hope to see you Saturday. :)
Konrad

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

There's always Liberté (2001) from Martin Wallace and Warfrog Games.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Sol. I've never played this one, what's it like?

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:15 pm

KonradwithaK wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Sol. I've never played this one, what's it like?
I played it with Chee and was most impressed. More area control than war game with various end game conditions inclusive of revolution fail / succeed according to faction control.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:21 am

Sorry, another late notice, but the gist is simple: This month's session is tomorrow, 10-3.00, Werribee Library, Watton Street, Werribee.

And a little look into the future: International Games in the Library day, as Moosehead has mentioned elsewhere, will be on the 16th of November. Last year we made our November session part of this event, and will do so again this year, although we will stick to our usual day - 23/11. The library organises with the GitL people, we just do our usual thing, hopefully with a huge number of players.
Also, the Point Cook branch of the library will participate on the 16th of November. Even though we don't have a regular group there, if anyone would like to come then as well, we'll play a few games to show the public what games are out there, and publicise the Werrbrary games group. The library is located in the Point Cook Town Centre. We may have different times there, so if you can make it, please let me know what time suits you best.

And finally, out here in the west, there's a couple of new kids in town, I see. If you haven't already noticed, have a look at BaronM's potential mid-week Newport startup (evenings), and Neez's potential RPG group in Altona Meadows.

Good gaming, everyone. :)