Chee-Con 2008

Played an interesting game? Let us know how it went.
christianmoura

Chee-Con 2008

Post by christianmoura » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:03 pm

While most of you were roughing it out hitching rides on scooters and sleeping 12 to a bunk bed in Albury, I was enjoying fine wine, cheese and ales at Chee-Con 2008 last Sunday. Why travel thousands of miles to play Carcassonne and Looping Louie tournaments when you can play any game you have ever invented or dreamed of belonging to Chee's encyclopaedic collection? It's like taking a chocoholic to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory of boardgames, except with more Nazis and less oompa-loompas.

Attendees this year:

Christian
BenQ
Brett
William
Chee-Yan

We started off with the euroed down wargame 'Shogun', a capitalist game where you are trying to extort the most you can from starving peasants, and abandoning them to riot and starve after you've pillaged the land of rice and gold - as William was quick to figure out. It has a cube tower, an interesting mechanic where you invade a province with 3 armies, rape the local peasants, and end up with 5 armies of bastard militia. BenQ won by torching castles, temples and theatres of Brett-San, leaving a dozen armies do die, so he could stock up on rice and win.

BenQ left us, and while the other three played a game of Gin Rummy that Chee won, I bravely volunteered to speed read the rules to Successors - an old favourite of mine that I hadn't played in 10 years. I learnt the second edition rules, and in 30min we were setting up the game and I was explaining the rules to the other 3. Successors is a lot like rugby. You grab Alexander's body on one end of the field, Babylon, and race across to the other end, to try to score a touchdown - burying the great Macedonian general in Pella, capital of Europe, and proving that you are the legitimate heir to the empire. If you can't do it, you need to accumulate enough legitimacy or victory points for a sudden death victory.

While William and Brett led a series of inconclusive fights in Macedonia, I managed to send a minor commando general on a daring raid in Syria (or the ancient equivalent), kidnapping the young boy Phillip III to be tutored in the ways of fine soldiering by the loyal general Perdiccas, former cavalry commander of Alexander and knowledgeable in the ancient military traditions of the Spartans. Perdicas lounged around the gardens of Babylon with Alex IV, another heir and son of Alexander, and his dad's body. Meanwhile, Leonnatus, general of Macedonian Royalty, married Cleopatra (Alexander's sister) further increasing the legitimacy of my faction proving to the Gods and to the people that I was to rule the fragmented empire.

After Chee led an unexpected attack by Ptolemy of Egypt, usurper to the throne, Perdicas managed a overwhelming rout of the enemy, and to his surprise, found another young royal boy alone in a tent, spoils of war, also coming under his delicate tutelage. This gave me Legitimacy enough to bury Alexander in Babylon for a few extra points, and win a sudden legitimacy death.

Last game of the day was Betrayal on the House on the Hill. I played the Reverend, who accompanied a feisty little boy (Brett) to the dark corners of the abandoned house, along with a bratty little girl (William), and Sporty Spice (Chee).

The girl, maybe jealous she wasn't getting much attention from the reverend, tried to summon a ghost and have us killed. While she got lost in the catacombs, the reverend's dog dragged the ghost's body from the bedroom upstairs, and delivered him to the graveyard where the reverend gave him a proper Christian funeral and put his soul to rest. The End.

Thanks for hosting Chee-Con 2008, Chee - it was brilliant.

BenQ

Post by BenQ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:48 pm

A memorable highlight - Chee jumping up and down raising his fists saying "go peasants" with a big grin - as they held off an attack from William's Samurais in Shogun.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks for the wrap up of the day....and night. It was a fun day. Successors was fun and I will bring it along to Dockers and EGF in the future.

There was a few mistakes we made though.
One can only get the legitimacy point from one heir no matter how matter you have with your generals.
Independant minor cities still have to be seiged and subjugated, although it only takes one seige point.

Chee
Dont Panic !

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Ahhh.... so no use in collecting multiple heirs...

Independent major cities - are they the ones with the green tokens? Or just any major city that is not controlled by a player at the start?

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Independant minor city = green round counters - one seige point to subjugate
Independant stronghold = green hexagonal counter - three seige points to subjugate

Use normal seige rules which need at least three CUs
Dont Panic !

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 am

Successors:

One other rule which i dont remeber playing is that when a surprise card is played, a replacement tyche card is drawn.

Chee
Dont Panic !

brett

Post by brett » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:55 am

Hehe, that would have been helpful for me :P

Instead of sitting out the last turn with no cards to play, I could have had another go at beating up William :D

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Great report Christian. Looks like you had a fun time. Loved your Successors and rugby analogy.

Last time I was at Chee Yan's, we played Betrayal at House on the Hill too...he must like the game!

Well, Albury was a blast. Gaming till 4 am each night. I played like 20 new games!

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:34 pm

shawn_low wrote:Well, Albury was a blast. Gaming till 4 am each night. I played like 20 new games!
Shawn that damned game of Time Flies turned into the worst gaming experience of my life! After round one I was forced to sit through a painstaking description of every single name in the deck one-at-a-time oh-my-god-I-want-to-escape! I'm always going regret not leaving the table when you did.