Bargain Watch

Trade and shop for games in Melbourne.
sime

Bargain Watch

Post by sime » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:30 pm

I am not sure if there is a place for this already but I noticed a gaming bargain I couldn't take advantage of so I thought I'd let others know.

Endeavor $40 at Classic Comics, there was a copy sitting on the shelf, I so should have bought it but badly do not need to buy more this month.

To find their address I just search for classiccomicsmelbourne, find their ebay store and get the address.

Milsims currently have Sid Meiers Civilization for $69 which seems incredibly good value for that game.

Unhalfbricking have a cracking price on Pitchcar at $65.

Hope this helps someone snag a bargain.

louis

Re: Bargain Watch

Post by louis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks!

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Shhh, don't tell anyone about Classic Comics!!

OK, their prices are good for the most part. They sometimes discount stuff that's been sitting there for awhile.

But if you ask them to special order any games, price rocket upwards.

Oh, they sell comics too.

sime

Post by sime » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:40 pm

I am a big fan of the store, with it being my comic shop and all, so the more that discover it the merrier. I haven't experienced any extra mark up from pre-ordering so I am not sure why you got stooged. For the bargain hunter, the person looking for milsims comparably prices in the city, or anyone that wants to impulse buy I'd suggest it is worth a nosey in. As far as I can tell most of the games they have are listed on their ebay store, but if you go in in person there appears to be a few ones at any one time that are between listings.

I spent the day looking at Endeavor reviews kicking myself for passing it up. But I really wouldn't have gotten around to playing it for a while...so I tell myself to try to hold off the tears.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:15 am

Yeah, Classic Comics is a great store run by a great guy (Joseppi). It's a real gem of a gamestore in the city. Everyone I introduce to the store manages to get a real bargain.

(Okay, Joseppi, where's my discount card!? ;))

sime

Post by sime » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:31 am

Ok here is another one that I didn't reveal earlier as I let a friend know about it first to give him a chance to buy it, but Classic Comics also had a copy of Yomi for $109 on Saturday. For anyone that has been looking for a copy of this it is worth calling up to snag what might be one of the only copies in Melbourne.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:58 pm

sime wrote:Ok here is another one that I didn't reveal earlier as I let a friend know about it first to give him a chance to buy it, but Classic Comics also had a copy of Yomi for $109 on Saturday. For anyone that has been looking for a copy of this it is worth calling up to snag what might be one of the only copies in Melbourne.
I believe that Milsims recently stocked Yomi. At least individual decks at $12.

Also, I wanted to special order Battles of Westeros a year ago. Prices were high because I was quoted a US conversion rate of 1.5. Suffice to say, Milsims was cheaper. I ended up getting it in a maths trade though. Crap game.

But Classic Comics is great store in general. The best deals on the boardgames are those that go on special (ie: Stuff that has been sitting unsold for months).

sime

Post by sime » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Checked milsims today and they have on backorder the full Yomi kit for $120, and each individual deck for $30 so I am not sure what to think as I saw the low prices you mentioned also in an email. Perhaps they were a a typo, though the current price does seem more realistic with respect to the RRP of the game.

You are right though the best deals are their sale items, but the rest are easily competitive enough to buy on impulse and not stress about over paying by tens of dollars.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm

To add to Bargain Watch!

Julian Clarke (www.unhalfbricking.com) has the best deals on some games including Treefrog Titles. His copies of London were cheaper than Milsims.

He also has some cool games no one else stocks...such as Rallyman!

@ Sime.

You're right! It's a Milsims Typo. I saw it here for $12. Scoll down. Clicking the link takes you to the set for $120. Opps!

http://milsims.com.au/node/118534

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm

This got mentioned on BGG already (possibly from someone here as well?), but Beowulf the Legend is $12 at Milsims. I also picked up Forbidden Island for $19. Not sure if it's a cheap price, but it seemed pretty decent for a full game.

Oh and hi. First time poster!
BGG: darkjoby

sime

Post by sime » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:58 pm

I have a friend that is a fan of Beowulf, I am not sure he'll be able to pass it up for that price. Thank for the post and welcome to this quiet little forum. Forbidden Island is ridiculously low priced, I picked it up as an impulse buy from the above mentioned comic shop for $21 so that suggests it is universally cheap I'd suspect.

I was ferreting around on the internet for Survive: Escape from Atlantis, and I noticed Troll and Toads ebay store. They appear to have the game for AU $37.65 + $15.20 shipping to Australia which puts the game at approximately $53. Now milsims has it on preorder for $64 so that is a nice little saving. I should preface this by saying I have never bought from Troll and Toad, and there may be a serious lag on shipping so those are a few unknowns. However if anyone has any experience with this company then that that might unlock another place to shop for bargains while our dollar is so strong. I suspect my game buying will slow heavily once our dollar goes belly up again :)

Here is the link for anyone interested:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Survive-Escape-A ... 220f8#shId

brett

Post by brett » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 am

I have found Troll and Toad to have good prices on some games (when shipping costs are taken into account) while others are comparative to what Milsims sells them for. Preordering from Troll and Toad seems to be a bit hit or miss with lag times (sometimes they get the games around the time they promote while others keep getting delayed). But with regards to shipping lag times, I was quite impressed. You can have the games in your hands in less than 2 weeks (I usually choose Fedex for shipping).

sime

Post by sime » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 am

For some reason milsims have dropped the price on Survive! Escape from Atlantis.

They now have it listed for $56.25 which is a fantastic price. It is on backorder so no idea when they will get copies in again but might be worth giving them a call for those keen on this game and not wanting to go abroad.

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 pm

sime wrote:For some reason milsims have dropped the price on Survive! Escape from Atlantis.

They now have it listed for $56.25 which is a fantastic price. It is on backorder so no idea when they will get copies in again but might be worth giving them a call for those keen on this game and not wanting to go abroad.
I have just ordered it & hope to see it in the next 4-6 weeks. Price unknown until shipping is resolved on delivery.

Julian

sime

Post by sime » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:16 am

Inspired by some of my colleagues purchasing copies of 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight I thought I'd do a little ferret around for some prices, knowing that were I to buy it I'd never come close to getting anyone on the nights I organised to play it. Just a bit of light consumerism, pricing game I shouldn't get :) Anyway I found the following prices on Unhalfbricking that I thought were pretty interesting, I am not sure what printing is worth what or if that is the variable in play:

1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight ($60.00)
Age Of Steam($55.00)
Agricola - Farmers of the moor ($45.00)
Dominion: Seaside ($45.00)
Dominion: Intrigue ($45.00)
Reef Encounter($30.00)

Those are just a few that jumped out at me.