WANTED: Old bread-making machine.

Talk about anything.
carlos

Post by carlos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:43 pm

cerebral stuff,
whats wrong with an oven, at the risk of being branded a hippy , too late for that .I used to roast dandelion coffee till I decided it was easier to buy it. You can smell when it's ready too.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 pm

jeff wrote:so what is the best tool for doing this ebay sniping?
No idea Jeff; I use auctionsniper.com because I'll never forget the URL :)

Got the breadmaker today. Had to install a switch to make the kneader spin constantly instead of stop-starting. Roasted up some Ethiopian Gambella, works a treat!

Carlos asked "why not use an oven?". That's like saying "why not play Bang?" :D
Uninstalling dictator ... 99% complete ███████████████████████████░ -ERROR-

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:00 pm

jeff wrote:so what is the best tool for doing this ebay sniping?

Shawn, Ben?
I use www.gixen.com

It's FREE. The rest of the other sniping sites makes you pay for sniping once the trial is over.

Used it with much success.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:51 pm

By the way Shawn, you asked about my coffee machine; It's a nice cheap sub-$1000 setup. Love the Sunbeam grinder, it has given me 2 years of service, but the grind is inconsistent. I'm probably wasting 50% of my coffee on inconsistent grinds haha Time for a Mazzer Mini?

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Hey Ben,

How's the mokita? Similar to the silvia?

I started with a Silvia and a borrowed Gino Rossi RR45 grinder. The Silvia was ok and I installed a PID for temp stability (and for fun).

I do quite few milk-based drinks so decided to get a used HX machine off ebay. The Silvia was just taking me too long to do the 4 coffees I make each morning.

Found a nice Rancilio S24 (badged as a Promac Club PU/S). As new for $700. Sweet machine.

Then I picked up a Mazzer Mini for $500 off ebay. Again, as new polished aluminum version.

Use a Coffeelab tamper. Same knockout bin as you have. Got pictures but haven't posted online. My Silvia and Mazzer pics are here (including PID installation):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnlow/

My mate had a Sunbeam EM grinder. It's ok for the price you pay but like you said, it's inconsistent. Seems like no two EM grinder grind the same at similar settings.

If you're getting serious (seems like you are), then get a better grinder. THe Mazzer Mini is a solid grinder. I do like it. It's built like a tank BUT the grind tends to be a little bit clumpy. BUt this can be solved with some mods.

My mate tried the Compak K3T. Not bad but it's a pain to adjust dosage. You can get a used Compak K6 or Mazzer Super Jolly on ebay for the price of a new Mazzer Mini.

I hear that the ECM Best or KS is decent. Sub $500. Check www.coffeesnobs.com.au (Hardware for Sale forums) for deals.

I was at the op shop today and saw a Rancilio Audrey. It's the pre-Silvia Silvia. Same group head etc. Butt ugly facia though. I was going to buy it for fun but it hadn't been checked by a sparky yet. I left my number and they'll ring me when it's for sale.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:14 pm

shawn_low wrote:Hey Ben,

How's the mokita? Similar to the silvia?
Yeah it's been great, the shots are great. My problems lie in the grinder and steam. These home machines are crap for anything more than about 2 lattes at a time, due to their tiny boilers I assume. It would be so easy if all we made were short blacks!
shawn_low wrote:I started with a Silvia and a borrowed Gino Rossi RR45 grinder. The Silvia was ok and I installed a PID for temp stability (and for fun).
Haha, the PID looks awesome.
shawn_low wrote:I do quite few milk-based drinks so decided to get a used HX machine off ebay. The Silvia was just taking me too long to do the 4 coffees I make each morning.
Yeah steaming is the worst thing about these small home machines. Even steaming the tiniest bit of milk I've got to cycle the steam switch to keep it hot; Then repeat the whole process.
shawn_low wrote:If you're getting serious (seems like you are)
I'm not serious enough to pay the big bucks, just want to churn out predictable coffee without wasting it haha. You would think it's easy but the reality is if you want to make 4 cafe style lattes inside half an hour, you need 2k worth of equipment.
shawn_low wrote:I was at the op shop today and saw a Rancilio Audrey.
Man, that's one ugly looking machine!