WANTED: Old bread-making machine.

Talk about anything.
bsmith
Site Admin

WANTED: Old bread-making machine.

Post by bsmith » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Anyone got a bread maker they want to part with? Anything old and cheap. I want to butcher it then use it to roast coffee :)

Won't be going to a good home! :lol:
Uninstalling dictator ... 99% complete ███████████████████████████░ -ERROR-

melissa

Post by melissa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Fraser's stepmother reckons popcorn machines are better

aaronseeber

Post by aaronseeber » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:01 pm

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/altcof/altcoffeepage11.html

Alan (who runs the site) used to recommend the tiffany popcorn machine.

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 pm

fantastic,

we've got some home roasters here huh? Well maybe Christian and I can trade you coffee for some homebrew.

But first you'll have to get a colonist on the coffee roaster. So I'm going to go Builder and wait for you to choose Mayor.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:00 pm

jeff wrote:fantastic,

we've got some home roasters here huh? Well maybe Christian and I can trade you coffee for some homebrew.

But first you'll have to get a colonist on the coffee roaster. So I'm going to go Builder and wait for you to choose Mayor.
:lol:

Why doesn't this place have Thumbs!?

aaronseeber

Post by aaronseeber » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Never done it myself, although I've been thinking about it for about 10 years (about the same length of time I've been thinking about getting back into homebrewing.. :( ). Many coffee roasters will sell you green beans at around a 30% price reduction c/w the roasted coffee price - from memory you lose about that much mass on roasting so the beans end up costing the same.

But I do know that drinking coffee shortly after roasting has a significant effect on the flavour. After roasting the coffee still has significant volatile compounds that contribute to the flavour, and these evaporate over a couple of days. When you buy coffee ~24 hours after it has been roasted and drink it over a few days you really notice a difference.

AFAIC if coffee can be vacuum packed it is already stale.

I can't remember the specifics, but Alan preferred the tiffany because of the placement of the hot-air jets.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:07 pm

I've already gone the Popper route and unfortunately it has run its course. Popcorn poppers run too hot so the beans roast way too hot ( around 6 minutes) and you can only do 100g at a time.
Breadmakers are awesome, really all you use it for is to stir the beans on dough mode, no heat. Then you just point a heat gun into it.

Here's a pic of the very first ever Breadmaker/heatgun combo! Invented by a user on coffeesnobs.com.au :) They've named this setup after the inventor's username. It's called a "Corretto". You get a perfect roast at around 20 mins. This method has superseded the popper, many are saying it's at least as good as commercial roasting.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:14 pm

aaronseeber wrote:Many coffee roasters will sell you green beans at around a 30% price reduction c/w the roasted coffee price - from memory you lose about that much mass on roasting so the beans end up costing the same.
I bought a popper a week ago and after my first fresh roast, I can't go back to pre-roasted beans. It was awesome! And I can get green beans for $10 a kilo. the pre-roasted stuff was costing me $24/kilo. The green beans last a year while roasted only a week.
aaronseeber wrote: But I do know that drinking coffee shortly after roasting has a significant effect on the flavour. After roasting the coffee still has significant volatile compounds that contribute to the flavour, and these evaporate over a couple of days. When you buy coffee ~24 hours after it has been roasted and drink it over a few days you really notice a difference.
Yeah, you're supposed to buy vacuum bags with a one-way valve. So when you roast you dump the beans straight into the bag, the gases can then escape but no oxygen gets in. I'm not that much of a snob yet though, I thought it tasted pretty damn good 20 minutes after roasting. :)

aaronseeber

Post by aaronseeber » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Here's a pic of the very first ever Breadmaker/heatgun combo! Invented by a user on coffeesnobs.com.au Smile They've named this setup after the inventor's username. It's called a "Corretto". You get a perfect roast at around 20 mins. This method has superseded the popper, many are saying it's at least as good as commercial roasting.
I am very impressed. Good luck chasing down a breadmaker! Shouldn't be too much trouble, they were pretty popular a few years back and I don't know anyone who still uses theirs...

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:24 pm

There are a lot of bread makers on eBay - it shouldn't cost you much to get one second-hand.

I've got one at home, but we do use it for bread...

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:32 pm

Haha yeah, I'm sniping one on eBay right now. The price is currently at around $10 with 24 hours left. Pickup from Altona. :D

jeff

Post by jeff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:09 pm

So did you get the machine Ben?

I'm keen for a cup of fresh roast next time i'm around.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 am

Haha, if you get a cheap one, send it my way as well.

I have roasted using the popper but too it's annoying as you can only do small batches and it's not entirely even.

A mate of mine set up the the breadmaker/heat gun combo but the breadmaker died. The HG will suck up so much electricity IMHO.

I'm planning on trying to turn my BBQ into a drum roaster sometime down the line:

http://www.homeroaster.com/BBQroast.html

At this point, I've got access to cheap and good roasted beans so I haven't bothered to roast too much...

What machine are you running Ben? What grinder are you using?

Also, if you want to split an order of Green Beans let me know Ben. I want some Harar and Yirg.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:20 pm

$41 was the best price I could find. Still haven't picked it up but I'm confident it'll do the job with a little re-wiring. :)

jeff

Post by jeff » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 pm

so what is the best tool for doing this ebay sniping?

Shawn, Ben?