Is there still a place for Gamers@Dockers?

Talk about anything.
Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 pm

As a public transport-riding, city worker, if a game night started up in Lonsdale St I would definitely go. I stopped going to Dockers yonks ago because its a bit too inconvenient to get home afterwards.

You could see that as a positive or a negative on "Dockers" (whether or not the name changes) moving. :D

It might cut down on my visits to Billabong, but that's not the question you were asking. ;-)

Just as an historical experience, Billabong numbers dropped off rapidly after Dockers started up but I think that was more coincidence than anything else.
And since then the growth of the hobby has meant Billabong is now seeing about the same numbers as before Dockers started.
So there might be a short numbers shock if GG set up on another night but it would probably only be temporary.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Melissa had a good point (before she headed off to Essen for the day) and I quote "The big risk with gamers@dockers moving is that other shops aren't going to keep your membership cards active and that is a BIG risk".

Personally, so long as the numbers don't drop to too low a level, I see no problem with Melbourne supporting three different games nights. Billabong on Tuesday, Dockers on Thursday and GG on another night.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:56 pm

One suggestion raised today in discussion was perhaps a trial period (2-3 months?) of having alternative thursdays at Good Games and Dockers. That way, we can see and compare the two venues and not lose either. People with preference for Dockers still have two nights a month and as do the people who prefer the city.

Comments?
Dont Panic !

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 am

christianmoura wrote: c) Is Good Games willing to stay open until late for a weekly gaming session? At times, people in Dockers stay there until 11pm or so.
Yes, my plan is that we'd stay open until "whenever". I would suggest that people should plan to finish up before the last trains leave tho'! :)

R.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:01 am

brett wrote: People still come to the NAB building and if I understand correctly, this store hasn't even started running any games nights yet.
At Good Games you won't need to be let in after 7pm, the doors will be open at all times.

We have been running games nights since we opened, on thurs & Fri, and starting next week Tues as well.
brett wrote: If it was decided that dockers move to the CBD, is the guy that runs the shop going to be there every Thursday night until everyone goes home (sometimes very very late)? I wouldn't want to be left the responsibility of locking up someone's shop and then if any merchandise went missing, being held responsible for that either.
A store employee will be there until the end and will have keys to lock up. I would not ask or expect anyone else to take this responsibility.

R.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:05 am

Fraser wrote: I'm not sure how late the Good Games nights would run. Theoretically Dockers can go until around 7:00 am, although I don't believe it has run past 1:00 am so far, 11-12 is probably more normal.
Last Thurs we were open until 1:30 am to cater for gamers. Conceptually we could stay open 24/7 if we wished. I personally don't think people play all that well at 2am, but I'm not going to stop people from doing it :)

R.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 am

shawn_low wrote:Wow. The end of Gamers? No way!
Agree 100%, no way do I want to see the end of Gamers!!!
shawn_low wrote: Pros:
b) Lots of room to game.
c) Easier parking (as compared with the heart of the city)
d) Discount card!
e) We can stay till REAL late. I've gamed past midnight at Dockers.
We have lots of room. I should put some pix up somewhere, however enough of you have visited by now to confirm (or deny) that.

Parking isn't so bad, especially if you're coming to the City anyway. Right across the road is a parking place that's $12/day for early bird (in by 10am), and right out front you can park from 6:30pm for free.

Dockers & Billabong discount cards valid at Good Games.

You can stay indefinitely at GG, with the advantage that you can come & go as you please.
shawn_low wrote: That's it. Can't think of anything else. But I have yet to visit Good Games so yeah.

If Good Games hosts gaming sessions, can these things be taken into account?

1) The space doesn't get overrun by other gaming activities (MtG, CCG tourneys etc).

2) Can we be a 'club' hosted by Good Games so we get to keep out 10% discount card *hey, don't knock the discount card!*

3) Ample space along with late opening hours (at least as late as Dockers).
Thurs night at present is CCG draft night. I wouldn't see that being more than ~20 players, leaving 2/3 of the current table space for board gamers. The drafters don't tend to be particularly noisy...and are a potential source of extra gamers - me being an example!

As to space, come in and have a look :):):)

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:16 am

Gomez wrote:Last Thurs we were open until 1:30 am to cater for gamers. Conceptually we could stay open 24/7 if we wished. I personally don't think people play all that well at 2am, but I'm not going to stop people from doing it :)

R.
Ah but the oh so cunning plans that they develop at 2am :lol:

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:18 am

bsmith wrote:Driving around the CBD and looking for a car-park isn't the best of fun, I would be slightly discouraged. But on the other hand it's great for those who catch public transport so I'm in the minority!

Pros: Food and drink, late opening hours, supporting the hobby, games to buy, central.

Cons: Parking and CCG kiddies.
Parking really is quite good - we're on the Western side of the CBD so you don't have all the restaurant & theatre crowds to deal with, there's lots of cheap/free parking within short walking distance.

The CCG kiddies don't come in during evenings, the CCG players we get at those times are all Uni students & older. The WoW CCG players are pretty much all adults..

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:23 am

Fraser wrote:Melissa had a good point (before she headed off to Essen for the day) and I quote "The big risk with gamers@dockers moving is that other shops aren't going to keep your membership cards active and that is a BIG risk".
Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have thought that the other stores would be even more keen to keep your discount valid in order to give you a reason to visit them & not buy everything from my store (if only that were possible!).

I guess it would be a good idea for somebody to enquire at the stores about this...

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:25 am

Fraser wrote: Ah but the oh so cunning plans that they develop at 2am :lol:
What, "I fall asleep on the table embedding your armies in my skull so that you can't move them"? :)

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:40 am

Gomez wrote:
Fraser wrote: Ah but the oh so cunning plans that they develop at 2am :lol:
What, "I fall asleep on the table embedding your armies in my skull so that you can't move them"? :)
Ah so you have seen those cunning plans in action then? :lol:

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 am

cyhiew wrote:One suggestion raised today in discussion was perhaps a trial period (2-3 months?) of having alternative thursdays at Good Games and Dockers. That way, we can see and compare the two venues and not lose either. People with preference for Dockers still have two nights a month and as do the people who prefer the city.

Comments?
Yeah: my suggestion! :-)

Since Dockers was originally held every two weeks, we could go back to that arrangement and move the other two days to GG?

So what about trialling the moving of Dockers to GG twice a month? We could say we game at GG the first two weeks of each month and Docklands the last two. Or alternate weeks, whatever.

Sounds like GG is a becoming a viable option? Especially since it suits those who need to be close to public transport!

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am

Fraser wrote:Melissa had a good point (before she headed off to Essen for the day) and I quote "The big risk with gamers@dockers moving is that other shops aren't going to keep your membership cards active and that is a BIG risk".
We'll just keep calling ourselves Gamers@Dockers and keep printing the cards as we always do.

I think Shawn's suggestion of alternating Docklands with GG is great.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:40 am

Actually given that GG is already up and running on the same evening, I am happy for Gamers@Dockers to keep going as normal and only revisit if there's a drastic drop in numbers. If that happened then we may visit returning to fortnightly.