Is there still a place for Gamers@Dockers?

Talk about anything.
Reggy

Is there still a place for Gamers@Dockers?

Post by Reggy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 am

We have been contacted by Good Games, a new game shop opened in Lonsdale Street. They are hoping to run game nights in their store.

My question is this:

Should Gamers just fold up and move to playing in store on Thursdays or should the store run games on another night and Gamers keeps running as is?

Will people game more than once per week or will folks just move to the other night and Gamers dies a death that way.

Will we still have a core that come to Docklands?

Can I have some honest opinion please?

Cheers
Greg

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm

My honest and personal opinion is that:

a) I would not attend a gaming session on an additional night. Once a week is enough for me.

b) I am pretty much exclusively interested in playing wargames. We have a somewhat core and small group of people who play the games I want to play, and I would be wary of splintering this group, in case there are only a few going to one place (Dockers) and the rest attending another night (Good Games) - if there were reduced number of wargaming people going to the current venue, Dockers, and it looked like I wouldn't get to play the games I like, I'd stop coming. This means that if there were a discussion about whether to move, not move, or have a separate / extra gaming night, I'd listen to Ben, Alpha, Chee, Jeff, William to see what they would want to do, since they are pretty much my core wargaming group. If some people were opposed to the idea, I'd likely not move - because Dockers is fine as it is. I honestly don't care too much about what the other (non-wargamers) decide - it doesn't affect me too much.

c) Is Good Games willing to stay open until late for a weekly gaming session? At times, people in Dockers stay there until 11pm or so.

d) If Good Games is willing to be open late, and has space enough for us to play (which by the sound of it, it has); I think it would be good to do a mass move from Dockers to their store. The CBD is more accessible than Docklands, and having a game night supported by a store would probably make it more visible to newcomers to the hobby. The Gamers groups is small enough, and the venues close enough, that I'd hope that we could move as a whole group without too much objection.

e) If people are planning to move from Dockers to Good Games, on a Thursday, we should probably set out a date in advance for the move, so we can make sure that everybody that regularly goes to Dockers is aware of this - many unfortunately don't read this forum very often.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:52 pm

a) Like christian, I keep my gaming to once a week. I don't attend Dockers all that much these days, mainly because of family reasons. Billabong is a better option for me because at least I get to go home, eat dinner and spend time with the kids before I head out. That said, if Dockers were to move to Good Games, I'd be more inclined to drop in after work, if only to stay for an hour or so. The store is right down the street for me, compared to the Docklands which is a bit out of the way.

b) Well, as mentioned, the store has a very large gaming area, about the size of the three Dockers rooms combined. From my conversation with Russell yesterday, he has the keys to the building, so gaming can go as late as it wants to.

c) Announce this at Dockers tonight and next week. People don't come in here often enough to check posts, so it's best to do this at Dockers.

brett

Post by brett » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Why fix something that's not broken?

People still come to the NAB building and if I understand correctly, this store hasn't even started running any games nights yet.

If it was decided that dockers move to the CBD, is the guy that runs the shop going to be there every Thursday night until everyone goes home (sometimes very very late)? I wouldn't want to be left the responsibility of locking up someone's shop and then if any merchandise went missing, being held responsible for that either.

Reggy

Post by Reggy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:02 pm

I will announce this to everyone but many of the core gamers check here so thought that would be a good start.

I am more than happy for Gamers to continue even with smaller numbers. That fact is that Russell at Good Games is okay for us to transfer there or he is happy to choose another night. Even in the second case I think that will naturally cause some people to change venue.

I haven't spoken to Russell but I know that some of our members have and are keen to change.

Russell approached Fraser to see how we want to handle things so he is certainly not wanting to tread on any toes.

Thanks for your thoughts gents.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:23 pm

I have also spammed the Gamers@Dockers mailing list with Greg's original post.

My comments:
Another games night would not be Tuesday as that clashes with Billabong. Monday or Wednesday seem the most likely alternatives.

There are probably two frequencies of gamers, those with family commitments that limit them to once a week or less external gaming, and those that game as many nights a week as they like :-)

There are possibly gamers who are happy to come to Docklands, but more happy to come to the CBD. This could be more relevant.

I'm not sure how late the Good Games nights would run. Theoretically Dockers can go until around 7:00 am, although I don't believe it has run past 1:00 am so far, 11-12 is probably more normal. [Russell if you are reading this feel free to chime in with some details]

Personally whilst I am based at the NAB building at the Docklands I find the venue quite convenient :-) If I ended up in the CBD or Vic Pde I may well think otherwise.

At the moment Gamers@Dockers can continue with a free venue so long as we still have some NAB staff people to periodically book the rooms.

Based on Gamers@Dockers past, you need about a dozen regulars to keep a viable games night.

Should we put up a BGG poll with some options?

Cheers,

Fraser
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:24 pm

A poll would be interesting.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:27 pm

christianmoura wrote:A poll would be interesting.
I'll leave it a little while for some more discussion to get a better body of options.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow. The end of Gamers? No way!

One night a week is it for me and I will go to Good Games if Gamers is officially shut down.

Having said that here are some pros and cons for me for keeping Dockers alive:

Pros:
a) Established 'club'. Sure, some nights are quiet but you get up to 20+ gamers at times.

b) Lots of room to game.

c) Easier parking (as compared with the heart of the city)

d) Discount card!

e) We can stay till REAL late. I've gamed past midnight at Dockers.

Cons:
a) We'll have to hear Julian will moan about a Games Store hosting a gaming session.

b) Dockers is just slightly out of the way of the city (but not much)

That's it. Can't think of anything else. But I have yet to visit Good Games so yeah.

If Good Games hosts gaming sessions, can these things be taken into account?

1) The space doesn't get overrun by other gaming activities (MtG, CCG tourneys etc).

2) Can we be a 'club' hosted by Good Games so we get to keep out 10% discount card *hey, don't knock the discount card!*

3) Ample space along with late opening hours (at least as late as Dockers).

Greg, thanks for bringing this up.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Good points Shawn.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Driving around the CBD and looking for a car-park isn't the best of fun, I would be slightly discouraged. But on the other hand it's great for those who catch public transport so I'm in the minority!

Pros: Food and drink, late opening hours, supporting the hobby, games to buy, central.

Cons: Parking and CCG kiddies.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Oh and it would be nice if we do move... to still call it "Dockers" :D

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:44 pm

So are the options currently:

1) 'Move' Gamers@Dockers to Good Games. IE: Purely a venue change?

2) Have a seperate night at Good Games. IE: Purely hosted by GG, unaffiliated with Gamers.

3) Fold up Dockers (as an games club) and start a new club at GG or GG acts purely as a gaming venue for a collection of hobbyists.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:59 pm

OK, I just created a Poll in the Gamers@Dockers section.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Now that parking has improved, my preference is Dockers at the NAB building, unless there is easy parking near the games store.
Dont Panic !