Spam spam spam spam

Talk about anything.
westgarthworldwide

Spam spam spam spam

Post by westgarthworldwide » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 am

Why do we have these spam-bots leaving gibberish messages all of a sudden? Is it some cunning plan by Chinese marketers to sell their goods by spouting nonsense, or maybe they hope people will be interested enough to follow their link?
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

Unhalfbricking

Re: Spam spam spam spam

Post by Unhalfbricking » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm

westgarthworldwide wrote:Why do we have these spam-bots leaving gibberish messages all of a sudden? Is it some cunning plan by Chinese marketers to sell their goods by spouting nonsense, or maybe they hope people will be interested enough to follow their link?
I think it's because Ben, who owns this site, has disappeared leaving us unprotected & unable to block spammers.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:45 pm

No, he's here (just had a PM from him actually) but I suspect he only looks in when people send him alerts about spam etc.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm still around guys; I see every post.
Deleting the Chinese spam has been annoying. I'm now authorizing new accounts manually, so we should see the spam decrease.
Uninstalling dictator ... 99% complete ███████████████████████████░ -ERROR-

gerald

Post by gerald » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the great work behind the scene! Couldn't live without MelbourneGamers!* :D

*Disclaimer: I could probably live without MelbourneGamers, but it would be a life with less procrastination -- That is, a more boring life.

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Ben

I believe that you can also set it up so that you moderate posts until you know the sender.

J