Good places to advertise a new games club? ("Cafe Games")

Talk about anything.
CafeGames

Good places to advertise a new games club? ("Cafe Games")

Post by CafeGames » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Okay, so we've actually been around for 2 years, so not quite new, just always on the lookout for new ways to flog the club.

I've tried getting onto Melbourne Mind Games website's list of clubs, but they've ignored about 8 emails I've sent over the last year, and in person just tell me to email. Not sure if it's relevant, but on a different issue one explained that Mind Games is a Eurogames speciality store and so they're not interested in supporting boardgame clubs that don't focus on Eurogames. (Cafe Games usually focuses on boardgames from the more interactive end of the spectrum. Yes, save your flames, folks enjoy them :smt004 )

I'm not really advertising because we need more people - just because I've discovered there are heaps of folks out there who have no idea that there are *any* boardgames clubs in Melbourne - we can't have anyone falling through the Net!! :D

#flogging on#

= Cafe Games =
Mostly light, social boardgames like Pictionary, Cluedo or 500, but
bring what you want.
At least twice a month in cafes and bars around Melbourne
(see website for times & dates)
http://cafegames.wordpress.com

#flogging off#

Yes, I do occasionally don a disguise and visit EGF or Dockers, but not for a while.
Christopher

kathy

Re: Good places to advertise a new games club? ("Cafe Games")

Post by kathy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I am interested in giving this a shot. Is it just a matter of turning up at MyCube on 10/4 at12pm?

CafeGames

Post by CafeGames » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:12 pm

kathy wrote:I am interested in giving this a shot. Is it just a matter of turning up at MyCube on 10/4 at12pm?
Sure thing, for more details about the event check out
http://cafegames.wordpress.com/mycube-events/

I only need RSVPs for the Yak Bar nights, or other events.

While they've got some games, feel free to bring your own. Since you're hanging around this board I'm picking you probably own some. It also probably means you're keen to proselytise Eurogames! ;-)

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

Sent: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm
CafeGames wrote: Hi Liz,
saw some of your old posts on the Melbourne Gamers forum. Not sure if you're still around here (I'm not usually either) but I thought I'd bring another boardgames club to your attention.

"Cafe Games"
http://cafegames.wordpress.com
(also on Facebook)

We tend more towards the social and interactive end of the spectrum. Of the games you mentionned, we've often played: Scrabble, Carcassonne, Cluedo, Pictionary, Cranium, Taboo. Sometimes we get out Risk, but it takes sooo long sometimes we have to run a special event just for it.

Amusingly we do often meet at MyCube, where you went that unfortunate time, but we're not owned by them, so hopefully that makes a difference. We also get a wide range of ages and genders.

regards,
Christopher

Sent: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:16 pm
ms_emily_strange wrote: Hi Chris,

I actually came across MyCube through your CafeGames page. Then I found them on Meetup. So now you have to pre-pay $15 for food and drink? You must be kidding me. It also seems that June is now integrating her Meetup group with the CafeGames group to get numbers up. Let's just say "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

It's actually been a few months since my husband and I joined the scene. And we're far removed from those commercial Kmart/Big W/Target boardgames now - we're big fans of Agricola, Le Havre, Powergrid, Serenissima, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Steam, to name a few. Just don't ask us to join in a game of Junta - I may have won that game, but after 6 hours of starting coups and taking sides, etc., it really didn't feel like sweet victory.
CafeGames wrote:We also get a wide range of ages and genders.
That's interesting. I thought there were only two genders. And even though we do have some in-betweens, I didn't think there would be such a "wide range" of them.

Best of luck with your CafeGames venture. I doubt you'll recruit any from this site... they're mostly Euro- or war-gamers.

-E

Sent: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:50 am
CafeGames wrote:
ms_emily_strange wrote: I actually came across MyCube through your CafeGames page. Then I found them on Meetup. So now you have to pre-pay $15 for food and drink? You must be kidding me.
*shrug* actually I think $15 credit is better than $5 (or more) for the mere opportunity to play games. Most of our events combine food & games, and it's pretty rare for anyone not to spend more than the $15 credit - so in the end that's free use of the place to play games. For smaller events where we bring our own games and don't need to split the bill, there's no surcharge. We also run events in the Yak Bar which is free.
ms_emily_strange wrote: It also seems that June is now integrating her Meetup group with the CafeGames group to get numbers up. Let's just say "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".
Nahh I think June's just giving up on her "club" and I've hijacked the meetup group to some extent. We were running Cafe Games in other places before MyCube existed, and then even while she tried to run her own "club" for her meetup group.
ms_emily_strange wrote: It's actually been a few months since my husband and I joined the scene. And we're far removed from those commercial Kmart/Big W/Target boardgames now - we're big fans of Agricola, Le Havre, Powergrid, Serenissima, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Steam, to name a few.
Ahh well, see here's the bilious hate I've come to expect from one-eyed eurogamers.
Very few of the games we play could be bought in a supermarket, and really ... I've played some of those games you mention and find them deathly boring ... it feels like I'm doing accounting, or perhaps my taxes. Sorry, but there are still lots of us who prefer games with high player interaction and strong theme or creativity. Each to their own, I guess.
ms_emily_strange wrote: Best of luck with your CafeGames venture. I doubt you'll recruit any from this site... they're mostly Euro- or war-gamers.
Oh of course, as I hope I indicated in my forum post, I'm not actually intending to flog my group here. I know it's a den of Eurogamers, and have been to a couple of the clubs a few times, just wondering if they know good games sites to advertise on.

cheers
Chris

I'm sorry, you contacted me, and then you insult me? Not cool, dude. I don't think anyone here would appreciate your attitude. Different strokes for different folk, for sure, but the underlying issue is the lack of respect. You don't try to recruit new members to your group and then shoot them down because they've declined your invitation. It's almost like an unrequited highschool crush, come to think of it. (Yes, that was a *hint hint*, got something to prove?)

Besides, no one in their right mind would pay $15 to play boardgames. It's one thing if it's a convention over several days, but for social gaming? If you've been to the clubs you claim you've been to, then you would know that Dockers is free, EGF is $4, and Billabong is $2. Egg on whose face, did you say?

gregor

Post by gregor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 am

There used to be a pinned post here of the various groups in Melbourne for easy reference. And there's that new calendar thingy. Just get Ben to add you to it.

There's also the bgg wiki of games groups; I've added a few to the Melbourne page-- add Cafe Games there. And post in the Melbourne guild. Can't hurt.

brett

Post by brett » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Keep it friendly guys. Chris is a cool dude that occasionally comes to EGF and is keen to try all sorts of games. He's obviously found a game niche that he and a large group of others enjoy which is great.

Gamers are only a very small section of the community so it would be nice if there was no segregation and we could all get along and appreciate that everyone enjoys something different. Whether the game comes from Kmart, Milsims or something you made/designed yourself, does it really matter? As long as everyone is having fun.

Good luck Chris.

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for your comments, Brett. If you read the conversations between your good pal Chris and I, you would realise that it was in fact he who started the insults.
CafeGames wrote: Ahh well, see here's the bilious hate I've come to expect from one-eyed eurogamers.
Very few of the games we play could be bought in a supermarket, and really ... I've played some of those games you mention and find them deathly boring ... it feels like I'm doing accounting, or perhaps my taxes. Sorry, but there are still lots of us who prefer games with high player interaction and strong theme or creativity.
This board is dotted with opinions from those who love their Eurogames, their wargames, or their Ameritrash. And yes, a forum is indeed a place where one can express their opinion about their likes and dislikes. However, if I had contacted someone to invite them to a group that I wanted them to join in, I wouldn't very well then go and tell them what an arrogant so-and-so they are for not joining a group that they don't want to join. That would be like door-knockers of the religious type egging your front porch because you told them you weren't interested in hearing about their revelations. You catch ants with sugar, not vinegar.

That said, I never stated that my husband and I don't play and enjoy Scrabble, Spy Alley, Pandemic, Cluedo, Sequence, Pictionary, Cranium, Taboo and other such party games with our close friends and family. In fact, that's what our games cupboard consists mainly of. I just meerly stated that if we were to go to a games meet, we would much prefer to play Euros over war, Ameritrash or party games. If you want further proof of this, just look at my very first post on this site (which, coincidentally, was the reason Chris contacted me in the first place).

Have a safe and happy Easter everyone!

CafeGames

Post by CafeGames » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Eh,
obviously I dont want to pick at the scab, just I found many points of the email I received to be derogatory, scornful and patronising that went far beyond a simple "no thanks I'm not interested".
I understand many people here do not have the same attitude.

The MyCube event is a lunchtime event, so as far as I'm concerned it's free. I wouldn't pay $15 just to play games.

Best wishes to all,
Christopher