RIP dearly beloved snacks...

Talk about anything.
ms_emily_strange

RIP dearly beloved snacks...

Post by ms_emily_strange » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 pm

I tried Grain Waves for the first time the other day, and I think I'm hooked. Then I remembered the similarly wavy-, but much thinner, shape of my much beloved childhood snack, Muncheros. They were the best thing on Earth!!! I tried googling Muncheros, but no one had the forethought back in the early 90s to take a photo before they became extinct, much like the dodo.

Then I started thinking of all the [bad] things I used to love as a kid that don't exist anymore, like Vice-Versas, Toffee Apple chew bars, Jupiter Bars (though I think they've made a come-back recently)... And there used to be a corn-puff snack that was in the shape of alien invaders in a "chicken" flavour and they had a comic on the big packet that the individual "not-for-sale" packs came in, but for the life of me, I can't remember what they were called...

And now I want a Bubble-O-Bill, but I don't want to die on my way to the convenience store. Too bad that they're about 50% of the size they used to be... or maybe I grew bigger and they were always that size.

...munch on Muncheros, you've got to munch on Muncheros, munch on Muncheeeeerrrrrrooooossss, munch munch munch munch on Muncheros...

sime

Re: RIP dearly beloved snacks...

Post by sime » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Was it Chickadees? I remember something similar as wee lad.

For the longest time I wanted Toobs back. I even signed a petition to try to convince the makers that the world needed the mouth cutting, mouth burning sensation of Toobs. Now they are back and I am over the moon.

Most of my candy memories are linked to the swimming pool as a kid or play lunch snack swaps. Red frogs, Runts, Nerds, Dip Sticks, Crunchers, Roll ups, Big Boss Cigars, the icy pole shaped like a pencil, jelly tipped Choc Wedge, many we still have, in fact some taste like they were from the same batch I was eating all those years ago. When it comes to Red Skins and Toffe Apples most were the really chewy ones that ripped out your filling bit every now and then a case would come in that were softer and you could punish with reckless abandon.

Aaahh thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 am

Toffee Apples & Red Skins still exist - we have them on the counter at Good Games...

R.

sime

Post by sime » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:49 am

They've been put under the Willy Wonka candy banner haven't they? That annoys me. The entire Charlie and the Chocolate Factory world is about incredible, fantastical candy, and yet the only original thing I have seen under that banner was the Mud Sludge bar which was effectively a chocolate bar with Nutella in it. The rest are just candies of yesteryear rebadged. Surely when you are making confectionery in the spirit of Willy Wonka you should be making outlandish flavours, roast beef gums, fairy floss filled chocolate bars...clearly I have no good ideas here but that is what the boffins are for...it is a chance to blow the consumers minds drawing from the books to make childhood fantasies a reality.

I actually met a man once that worked for nestle designing treats. I wish I had of asked him more about the process of candy design along with current limitations. Instead I got too caught up trying to investigate whether they knew that Milo didn't mix with milk and if it was some conspiracy of theirs to sell a byproduct they didn't know what to do with by pretending it could be consumed in a cold beverage. He dodged my questioning too well for me not to think something suspicious was happening.

So are these the really chewy redskins or the softer ones? I could go a couple of soft redskins to see the heat off.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 am

v. chewy :)

If I was in the store today I'd bring some home...

sime

Post by sime » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 am

Need someone to do a snack run for tonight? I can swing past some place on the way over.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22 am

not fussed - I'm fat enough as it is!

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 am

Toobs! I remember hating those things, but the more you ate, the better they tasted. Then I really got into them, and they disappeared. But they're back now!

I'm not sure that those "chicken" flavoured corn snacks that I remember were called Chickadees... Maybe I'm remembering space-invader shapes when in fact they were mini chicken shapes. Nevermind.

Redskins used to be an Allens product, and so were Toffee Apples. Redskins are available in the supermarkets - I like to make them cold so they shatter first, then suck/chew on the little shattered bits. I haven't seen Toffee Apples in years though.

What were the jelly-tipped Choc Wedges like?! I don't remember them at all! The only thing I ever swapped at play lunch or lunch was an apple for a celery stick with peanut butter, and pork loaf sandwiches for Vegemite and cheese sandwiches.

Does anyone remember those big cordial fountain thingies at the supermarket that dispensed a little plastic cup of cordial for 20c? I remember wishing I could swim inside the tank. Weird, I know.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 am

They don't do toffee apple chew bars anymore?

About 2 years ago in a moment of nostalgia I bought a couple of redskins, bit into one ..... and chipped a lovely big bit off one of my teeth (which for some reason aren't as resilient as they were when I was a kid and used to eat RS every day) which almost made me have to get a crown (luckily it was patched up by the dentist with regular selley's puttey/filling mix.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:54 am

Whoa, that's backyard dentistry for you...! Bet he charged you by the hour. And no gap fee!

...I could go on, but I think that's enough for now.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Come to think of it, it was a redskin I got from Good Games which did the damage! Still, it tasted good and brought back happy memories.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.