Kendo Nagasaki #4! (anyone can join at any time, PM me!)

Play by Email games in progress.
Fraser

Post by Fraser » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:44 pm

jeff wrote:this is getting rather annoying. 10 turns and it seems everyone has received a clue except me!
Bzzzzt.

I have never received a clue.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:24 pm

That was turn 9, right?

By the rules, if nobody finds Colin McRae on the next turn, the game ends and everyone loses!

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Yep. I am surprised that no-one found him, but of course, I knew where he was.

Don't forget, deadline today. Still no entries from Christian, Chris, Fraser & Jon

Regards
Julian

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Is it just me that has the song "I ate the Yabbie that ate Don McKay" running through my head whenever reading "Colin McRae"?

It probably is!
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:06 pm

<table border=1><tr><td><b>turn 1:</b></td> <td><b>famous person</b></td> <td><b>famous city</b></td></tr><tr><td>christianmoura</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Salt Lake City</td></tr><tr><td>pimlottc</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>jeff</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Albuquerque</td></tr><tr><td>dougp</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>fraser</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Redmond</td></tr><tr><td>jttm80</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Salt Lake City</td></tr><tr><td>richardweir</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>stompy</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>ianw</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Salt Lake City</td></tr></table>Public response to the name suggested by the closest agent:
<i>Getting Colder!</i>

<table border=1><tr><td><b>turn 2:</b></td> <td><b>famous person</b></td> <td><b>famous city</b></td></tr><tr><td>christianmoura</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Kansas City AP</td></tr><tr><td>pimlottc</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>jeff</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Fargo ND</td></tr><tr><td>dougp</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Winnipeg</td></tr><tr><td>fraser</td><td>Colin NcRae</td><td>Melbourne FL</td></tr><tr><td>jttm80</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Carson City</td></tr><tr><td>richardweir</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Seattle</td></tr><tr><td>stompy</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>ianw</td><td>Colin McRae</td><td>Fargo ND</td></tr></table>Public response to the name suggested by the closest agent:
<i>Congratulations to Doug P who got closest.</i>

He was actualy hiding in Regina, SASKATCHEWAN. Originally I had him in Moose Jaw, just up the road from there, but when it was obvious it was not going to be like Lisbon this time, I moved him to a bigger city, in the hope that someone would get there..

Yes, it was Colin McRae, who unfortunately died after crashing his helicopter about a week into the comptetition, which made me feel like crap to be honest. I have somewhere a photgraph of Jack & Rob with Colin during the Rally of GB, 2000. I don't think anyone knew I was a Rallying fan, & it was an inspired piece of deduction by IanW to get him after Lance Armstrong - that was a REALLY hard one to find a clue for.

I must admit to being amused by the UK/Europe obsession which went on, as the nearest to Canada was in England in Round 1. The time it lasted also surprised me, but I wasn't actually trying to do any deduction from the clues.

Anyway, sorry forthe screw-ups early on - & some of you sending me PMs didn't get through apparently. Never heard of that happening, as it's just moving from one file to another.

Interested in all the dissection to come. Now, who's going to do the next one, so I can have a go again? It's not as easy as it seems, thinking of revealing but obscured clues.

Regards
Julian

ianw

Post by ianw » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:40 am

Ahhh, we were getting there! If there was another turn I'm pretty sure I would have thought Doug was closest (I almost said Winnipeg) and that narrows it down a lot.

It's pretty funny that most of us managed to not find the right continent until turn 8...everyone was thrown by both jttm80 and christian playing games in uk/europe at the start.

By the way I thought my turn 5 guess was interesting and I had a chance of nailing it then - with christian still guessing italians in eastern europe, if the clues had gone christian - christian - christian - jeff, that actually leaves an extremely small area in eastern romania as the only spot that fits. After that was wrong, I was pretty sure we were almost all on the wrong continent, but it was too hard to narrow it down.

Anyway, thanks Julian for running it!

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 am

I almost went winnipeg as well, but thought it was too large for Julian's obscure tastes. :D

Christian's distracted me at the start, especially with the "same language" clue. Playing a spoiler game huh?

I then realised jttm80 was getting clues and his small movements made me think he must have been close. ah well..

A history of the game on google maps:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UT ... 1&z=2&om=1

Some of the large lines are from me dissecting locations.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:22 am

Woah - the google maps history is neat.

Yeah, I thought I'd try to throw people off by pretending I had received the first clues - thinking I would be able to meanwhile find isolate the player who did in fact get the real ones.

I had a break when I got the clue for New Orleans, which allowed me to deduce who had received all the clues from the start of the game.

Still the credit goes to ianw for deducing Colin Mcrae.

It was just too hard to find the correct city after that. Don't think we would have managed even if we had another 4 turns...

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:36 pm

I think we might have got it in 4 turns, but I was getting pretty annoyed... :)

I would have put another line between Winnipeg and Fargo and deduced that it was north of that line because the other cities weren't on the table. (eg. Kansas City would have given me the clue in Albuquerque)

That would have left a few small cities. Saskatoon and Regina being the biggest two, but I would have picked something like Medicine Hat, Swift Current or Moose Jaw...

I'll host the next game. I just want to confirm the utility you use to check distances.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:11 pm

jeff wrote: I'll host the next game. I just want to confirm the utility you use to check distances.
What do you mean? Do people actually use software to check distances and not just randomly guess by pointing a finger at map??

:oops:

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:09 pm

christianmoura wrote:
jeff wrote: I'll host the next game. I just want to confirm the utility you use to check distances.
What do you mean? Do people actually use software to check distances and not just randomly guess by pointing a finger at map??

:oops:
I was going to use a piece of string but then I didn't know if the Himalayas blocked LOS or were just a hindrance.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:22 pm

jeff wrote:
christianmoura wrote:
jeff wrote: I was going to use a piece of string but then I didn't know if the Himalayas blocked LOS or were just a hindrance.
Gold.

dougp

Post by dougp » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 pm