Kendo Nagasaki #3 game over congrats ianw!

Play by Email games in progress.
dougp

Post by dougp » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:29 pm

I considered not revealing that the city had been found. I think if I GMed another game, I would make a few rules (or conventions) I have in my head explicit. Like, if anyone guesses the person, the clue will just be "someone knows who I am". I think the convention if someone gets the city but not the person should be that either everyone knows that someone got the city (as has happened in this case), or just the person who got the city gets a PM saying "you found me" rather than "you are closest". Either way, everyone should know how it's going to work from the start.

Also, I decided to accept guesses in Portuguese.

dougp

Post by dougp » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:21 pm

deadline is midday thursday.

ianw

Post by ianw » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Doug, either way is fine but I think I prefer it as played (everyone knows that someone got the city) because anyone who can figure out all the clues from this point deserves to win, as opposed to giving away the person but guessing a different city while someone else gives away the city by guessing it twice, then probably everyone will get it the turn after that. Perhaps I'm just saying that because I have an idea who it might be :shock:

It looks like Lisbon and Geneva are the most likely, and I can only think of one person who fits all the clues for one of those so if that's wrong then I'm totally stumped.

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:50 am

I think some people are trying to hide the fact that they were closest and others were confused about the clues or trying to deceive the rest of the players.

The problem for me is that I'm hopeless with celebrity names. I will usually go "you know that guy that played the baddy in that movie with guns and stuff"

Anyone have a good website for famous people? I found www.who2.com but it doesn't appear complete.

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:56 am

Knowing which country they need to be born in worked for me... just googled "Famous Outer Mongolians" got some really useful stuff - or at least I think it did, but then I might be wrong as I suspect that Outer Mongolia's bigest city isn't likely to be more than a few tents moving all the time, making Doug's job interesting as different cities become closest each few days!

Julian - helpful, as ever

pimlottc

Post by pimlottc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Wikipedia has a number of pages such as List of Brazilians
- Chris @ Dockers

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:47 pm

Oh C'mon, I am sure the name of the city that I forget in Mongolia is at least as big or bigger than New South Wales' largest regional city 8)

Fraser
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Where the results at?

dougp

Post by dougp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:13 pm

<table border=1><tr><td><b>turn 1:</b></td> <td><b>famous person</b></td> <td><b>famous city</b></td><td><b>distance</b></td></tr><tr><td>Unhalfbricking</td><td>John Howard</td><td>Canberra</td><td align=right>18056 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>ianw</td><td>Tom Cruise</td><td>Munich</td><td align=right>1964 km</td>
</tr><tr><td><b>jttm80</b></td><td><b>Jessica Alba</b></td><td><b>Paris</b></td><td align=right><b>1457 km</b></td>
</tr><tr><td>christianmoura</td><td>Lewis Hamilton</td><td>Christchurch</td><td align=right>19465 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Stompy</td><td>Lindsey Lohan</td><td>London</td><td align=right>1588 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>pimlottc</td><td>Pope John Paul II</td><td>Sao Paulo</td><td align=right>7951 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Fraser</td><td>Dick Cheney</td><td>Rome</td><td align=right>1871 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>jeff</td><td>Robert Mugabe</td><td>Nairobi</td><td align=right>6460 km</td>
</tr></table>Public response to the name suggested by the closest agent:
<i>We come from different countries, our surnames end with the same letter.</i>

<table border=1><tr><td><b>turn 2:</b></td> <td><b>famous person</b></td> <td><b>famous city</b></td><td><b>distance</b></td></tr><tr><td>Unhalfbricking</td><td>Hugh Laurie</td><td>Moscow</td><td align=right>3910 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>ianw</td><td>Bob Hawke</td><td>New Delhi</td><td align=right>7779 km</td>
</tr><tr><td><b>jttm80</b></td><td><b>Roger Federer</b></td><td><b>Madrid</b></td><td align=right><b>504 km</b></td>
</tr><tr><td>christianmoura</td><td>Paris Hilton</td><td>Tokyo</td><td align=right>11150 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Stompy</td><td>John Laws</td><td>Dublin</td><td align=right>1643 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>pimlottc</td><td>Kofi Annan</td><td>Kabul</td><td align=right>6784 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Fraser</td><td>Eric Bana</td><td>Jakarta</td><td align=right>12682 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>jeff</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>-</td></tr></table>Public response to the name suggested by the closest agent:
<i>We were born in adjacent countries.</i>

<table border=1><tr><td><b>turn 3:</b></td> <td><b>famous person</b></td> <td><b>famous city</b></td><td><b>distance</b></td></tr><tr><td>Unhalfbricking</td><td>Leonard Cohen</td><td>Bangkok</td><td align=right>10688 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>ianw</td><td>Hugh Jackman</td><td>Reykjavik</td><td align=right>3482 km</td>
</tr><tr><td><b>jttm80</b></td><td><b>Tony Danza</b></td><td><b>Lisbon</b></td><td align=right><b>0 km</b></td>
</tr><tr><td>christianmoura</td><td>Sophia Loren</td><td>Genebra</td><td align=right>1501 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Stompy</td><td>Pamela Anderson</td><td>Honolulu</td><td align=right>12591 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>pimlottc</td><td>Natasha Henstridge</td><td>Hilo, Hawaiʻi</td><td align=right>12616 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Fraser</td><td>Celine Dion</td><td>Fiji</td><td align=right>13648 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>jeff</td><td>Avril Lavigne</td><td>New York</td><td align=right>5418 km</td>
</tr></table>Public response to the name suggested by the closest agent:
<i>I am between 5 and 10 years yonger than you. You know where I am.</i>

<table border=1><tr><td><b>turn 4:</b></td> <td><b>famous person</b></td> <td><b>famous city</b></td><td><b>distance</b></td></tr><tr><td>Unhalfbricking</td><td>Estella Warren</td><td>Fiji</td><td align=right>13648 km</td>
</tr><tr><td><b><i>ianw</i></b></td><td><b><i>Reiner Knizia</i></b></td><td><b><i>Lisbon</i></b></td><td align=right><b><i>0 km</i></b></td>
</tr><tr><td>jttm80</td><td>Sofia Coppola</td><td>Lisbon</td><td align=right>0 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>christianmoura</td><td>Arnold Schwarzeneger</td><td>Lisbon</td><td align=right>0 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Stompy</td><td>Natalie Imbruglia</td><td>Geneve</td><td align=right>1501 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>pimlottc</td><td>Oliver Kahn</td><td>Lisbon</td><td align=right>0 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>Fraser</td><td>Celine Dion</td><td>Honolulu</td><td align=right>12591 km</td>
</tr><tr><td>jeff</td><td>Isabelle Adjani</td><td>Lisbon</td><td align=right>0 km</td>
</tr></table>

Congratulations to ianw!

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Good work.

But there is no way I would have guessed him! I misread the first clue as well. hahahaha

jttm80

Post by jttm80 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Gahhh... I spent ages knowing the right clues, but I still couldn't figure it out....

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:50 pm

I had the first turn down to Paris or ChristChurch, but went for ChristChurch :(

pimlottc

Post by pimlottc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Ha, very nice. I had the right idea but I simply couldn't come up with any celebrities from around Switzerland ending with an "a".

Part of me hoped Geneva would be right though - I thought that was a pretty inspired guess. I didn't realize Paris dominated anything other than France, Spain and Portugal.

Oh, and clever to jttm80 for ignoring the surname clue in round 2 and throwing us off the scent.

Another game?
- Chris @ Dockers

pimlottc

Post by pimlottc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:17 am

We had a good time going over the game at Dockers last night, going over what we thought at various points and how we interpreted each others actions. So I wrote up a round-by-round recap of my thought process for the game. I'd be interested to see other people's as well.

Round 0
No real strategy here, I like the sound of the name Sao Paulo.

Round 1
Obviously knew it wasn't me. Assumed everyone else did too, since Pope John Paul II doesn't have an obvious last name. Since I was the only person in the Americas, I assumed this ruled them pretty much out.

Couldn't really do much with the clue, so I just looked for an area not yet staked out, which meant Asia. My first thought was Osaka, but that was way off to the side, and Japan seemed too obvious. I went for Kabul as it was a much more central location.

As for the name clue, two "e"s and two "n"s, so I just picked one.

Round 2
Clearly a lot of people were thinking about Asia. Mostly very broad movements, although LON-DUB and PAR-MAD both attracted my attention. However, I didn't think it was much worth coming up to Europe since it already had a lot of attention.

The birth country clue was interesting. I would normally consider "adjacent" to mean sharing a land border, but I wasn't certain how Doug would see it. But this gave me reason to doubt guesses of Australian and Papua New Guinean celebrities (can't think of any famous Indonesians...).

At this stage I realized that US and Canada were still in play - LON was actually closer to them both than SAO. I also noticed christian's move to Tokyo - he had kept the same last letter as from round 1 and he still dominated Oceania, so he could be getting the clues.

So I was split between North America and the Pacific. I didn't want to jump into NA though and give away that it was still a possibility. In the Pacific, I first considered Fiji. Then I noticed Hawaii out there n the middle. Hawaii gave me a shot at dominating both Oceania and also the US, without making it obvious. I chose Hilo over Honolulu since I didn't think Doug would choose HNL two games in a row, and because Hilo was slightly closer to US and Fiji than Honolulu.

I chose a Canadian, again thinking christian might be on to something, meaning Canada or Mexico by the country clue. I went for Natasha Henstridge as a non-obviously Canadian guess. The "e" since it was the other popular choice from round 1.

Round 3
Turns out I wouldn't have had much of a shot getting the PM, even if I were right; Fraser had Oceania covered in Fiji and jeff's NYC shot took away North America. But I was lucky to have Stompy join me in Hawaii, throwing a little misdirection to the others. Clearly I wasn't the only one thinking Canadians either.

Looking at the paths, previously promising travellers Stompy and christianmoura made big jumps, throwing them into doubt (LON-DUB-HNL and CHC-OSA-GVA). Meanwhile jttm80 seemed to continue a very purposeful path of hitting the capitals in his dominated area (PAR-MAD-LIS).

The city clue was a big help, obviously. I went back and looked at the previous rounds, in light of each possible city. Most didn't make much sense. Lisbon looked most promising. Then I noticed GVA was plausible - it was closest to both of jttm80's guesses of LON and MAD and a prominent location. At the same time, it was very easily overlooked - I didn't realize Switzerland poked so far into France.

So my choice was between Lisbon and Geneva. I looked at the person clue and went to look for celebrity names. Had a hard time with this. Names ending with an "a" were much rarer than I realized and most of the people were rather obscure to me.

I decided against GVA partially on the basis that Sophia Loren was too old; I had a hard time finding anyone from her time frame who was still alive and recognizably famous. I also noticed that jttm80 had chosen a r3 guess ending with the same letter as his r1 guess. Clever! Switching it up in r2 when we were still guessing fairly blind but going back to form in r3 when he thought he actually had a shot (since he was running of out peninsula at that point, if it wasn't Lisbon). Although Tony Danza was born in the US, it was a plausible mistake to think him a native Italian.

In the end, I had the right interpretation. Lisbon, 5-10 years younger than Tony Danza, ending with an "a". But I still just couldn't come up with any matching names to guess. And time was running out, I didn't want to miss out on my chance. So I went with Oliver Kahn at random with the hopes of getting the next clue and being able to figure it out from there.

Round 4
But of course, there was no round 5. Brilliant work by Ian. Way to snatch it away from the guy getting all the clues :) If I had seen Knizia on a list of celebrities I would have instantly thought "must be it!" but, of course, he's not a celebrity to most people. I noticed that no one else had a guess ending with "a" and in one of the proper birth countries; glad to see I'm not the only one who had a hard time with that.

I really liked this game. It was less random than I expected it to be, and it was fun to try to guess what everyone else knew. I also really like scouring the web for information to match the clues. Sometimes I think I should quit programming and get a job as some kind of internet researcher...
- Chris @ Dockers

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

pimlottc wrote:Then I noticed GVA was plausible - it was closest to both of jttm80's guesses of LON and MAD and a prominent location. At the same time, it was very easily overlooked - I didn't realize Switzerland poked so far into France.
You need to play WWII games or Diplomacy a bit more then. Impassable but significant borders with German, Italy and France. 8)

Not that knowing that helped me fishing my around the Pacific.

Fraser