Kendo Nagasaki #3 game over congrats ianw!

Play by Email games in progress.
Unhalfbricking

Next round starts next week!!

Post by Unhalfbricking » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:27 am

Doug has sent me the necessary for running the next round, but I will endeavour to make it last longer than 4 rounds! Don't expect a capital city this time around!

jttm80

Post by jttm80 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Haha, yeah, my head was in celebrities....

First round, when I got the clue, it was a bit tricky, because I was wondering whether I had actually hit the city or whether I had to move on (didn't realize Doug would tell us if we got the right city).

Therefore, you may have noticed that I moved in a straight line away from my two closest competitors in Europe.

And I continued moving from there. Sigh... stupid Reiner Knizia...

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:33 pm

Damn Knizia! I had all the clues correct, but for the life of me could not think of a celebrity from Austria, Italy, Germany or France for the appropriate age bracket with the surname ending in A!

Bring on game #4!

Joris

Post by Joris » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:42 pm

OK, I'm registered and ready to join the next game.

dougp

Post by dougp » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:54 pm

Julian has offered to run the next game, I am dreading the obscure "celebrity" he is going to select :P.

I have a judging system (on a web page) which I created to automatically tell me who was closest, and to automatically generate those tables for anyone who wants to GM a game in the future. See here.

(I would probably have to make some way to add cities to the city list to make it generally useful)

pimlottc

Post by pimlottc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Joris wrote:OK, I'm registered and ready to join the next game.
Welcome aboard!
- Chris @ Dockers

ianw

Post by ianw » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:57 pm

Very interesting game! I did steal the win after jttm80 got all the clues 8) but I suppose that would often happen and a few of us were on the right track in the end. It was interesting to read how similar Chris's thoughts were to my own, even when picking totally different guesses. Here's my thoughts in each round:

Round 0
First guess that came into my head and not near Honolulu or America for that matter. Next game I'll pick something more obscure.

Round 1
Not me which only rules out northeastern Europe. It did also occur to me that Pope John Paul II doesn't have an obvious last name, although this didn't necessarily rule him out. It's funny in hindsight that I was thinking "Paris looks very squeezed in, I'm glad I didn't choose that!"

I decided to just go for some open space, which for me also meant central Asia. I picked someone ending in e to be consistent with the first guess from Nairobi.

Round 2
The first thing that struck me was that nobody had a guess closest to their first city, and ending in the same letter. The 2 standout cities were as Chris said, LON-DUB and PAR-MAD, but unlike Chris I decided it was worth picking somewhere near one of them.

Christian's guess was also interesting, although Tokyo is closer to Canberra than Christchurch so I discounted it for now, pending his 3rd guess.

So it was either near LON-DUB, including North America, with a name ending in N and born adjacent to PNG (were John Laws was in fact born), or near PAR-MAD with a name ending in A and born adjacent to Switzerland. I had the same question as Chris - would Doug consider Australia to be adjacent to PNG? I decided yes and that this could be a cryptic way of saying they were from Australia. I also chose Reykjavic as somewhere obscure enough to be a possibility.

Round 3
Not only was my guess not close, but Stompy gave up on Dublin, as well as Christian's jump removing any doubt for me about the whole Pacific region. So I was pretty sure jttm80 had the first 2 clues, with the city being either Lisbon or Geneva. I was also surprised to learn that Geneva was a possibility! Curiously, neither jttm80 or Christian guessed a possible person which I took to be either a mistake or that they couldn't think of anyone.

Either way we needed a celebrity ending in A and born adjacent to Switzerland in a suitable time period. As everyone who got to this point discovered, there appears to be nobody suitable on any list of famous people! The best person I had for a while was Cardinal Angelo Scola, a candidate to be Pope John Paul II's successor and 7 years younger than Sophia Loren, but I didn't consider him to be famous enough. Perhaps I would have picked him if Julian was running it and picking someone very obscure!

So how did I think of Knizia? Germany being adjacent to Switzerland eventually got me thinking along the lines of all the great games that come from there. Perhaps being a relative newbie (to an organised group at least) somehow helped by putting his name fresh in my mind? In any case it was a great relief, and more or less confirmation in my mind that it was right, to discover that he did in fact fit all the clues. I had a slight doubt about him being a "celebrity" but certainly he's known to all of us.

I hope that was interesting and I'd be interested in seeing what anyone else was thinking as well.

Bring on the next game (I need something to do at work)!

dougp

Post by dougp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:45 pm