Werewolf 11 - Wolves win!

Play by Email games in progress.
jeff

Werewolf 11 - Wolves win!

Post by jeff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:05 am

Ok, I'm looking for an 8 or more player game. I'll probably make it no role reveal, allow no-lynch votes, and I'm thinking of including 2 Masons. Masons can PM each other and know each other as good. I'm also considering a guard but I think that might make it a bit too strong for the villagers.

I'll defer to Anna on balance issues though.

Victims, ummm, I mean players
TaleSpinner - wolf
christianmoura - wolf
Stompy - Mason
redturtle - Seer (killed N1)
jttm80 - Mason
annawid - bodyguard (lynched D2)
Fernando - villager (killed N2)

If we can't get more players soon, I'll start with 7 players.

Rules:
Role reveal on death
Unknown roles
Starts with 2 wolves
Votes ties will be decided by longest held last vote method.
"No lynch" votes allowed and count towards a majority.
No screenshots of PMs (Bad Christian!)
No PM unless specifically allowed (do I need to say this one?)
Deadlines will be 10am Melbourne time (AEDST is +11GMT btw Fernando so I think that is 9pm for Brasil?)

Possible Roles
Wolves (may be infectious)
Hunter
Bodyguard
Seer
Priest
Mason
Cobbler
Tinker
Sorcerer
and of course Villager
Last edited by jeff on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 am

Sign me up!

Just a summary of the possible roles (as per their defns from BGG Werewolf):

Wolf - An Evil Role. The Wolf is the most basic Evil Role. Usually, it grants its player the ability to participate in Night Kills. Wolves are often allowed to Private Message each other, so that they may conspire more effectively. Infection: An uncommon game mechanic in which the victim of a Night Kill becomes a Wolf instead of being eliminated from the game.

Hunter - A Good Role which grants its player the ability to continue the game even if Parity is reached. Variant: When only the Wolf and the Hunter are left, the Hunter kills the Wolf and the Village wins.

Bodyguard - A Good Role that gives its player the power to keep another player from being the victim of a Night Kill. Often confused or mistaken for the Martyr Role.

Seer - A Good Role which gives its player the power to View one player each round, usually returning a result of "Wolf" or "Not Wolf". The Seer is usually the most important member of the Good team, and the highest-priority target of the Evil team.

Priest - A Good Role, often used in games where Roles are not made public upon player removal. A Priest learns the Role of any players who were eliminated in the previous round of play, and may share this information in public if he desires.

Mason - A Good Role usually given to two, three, or more players. These players know each other's identities, and usually know that their fellow Masons are all members of the Good team. Masons are often allowed to PM each other.

Cobbler - An Evil Role, the cobbler is on the werewolves team, but is not a werewolf! He doesn't know who the werewolves are, they dont know who he is. Does not count towards parity with good. The cobbler looks like a villager to the seer.

Tinker - A Good Role which is similar to a Villager, but gives an incorrect result if Viewed by a Seer. Tinkers usually do not know they are Tinkers, and are instead told they are normal Villagers.

Sorceror - An Evil Role which gives its player the power to View one player each round, usually returning a result of "Seer" or "Not Seer". Sorcerors usually do not know the other members of the Evil team, but are sometimes known TO the other members of the Evil team.

Villager - A Good Role with no special powers. In general, Villagers are the most common Role in a Werewolf game. Since Villagers have no special powers, they must rely on their intuition and deduction to win the game.
Last edited by TaleSpinner on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 am

I'm in. How about a game where the players don't know what the roles are befor the game starts, but it is still a role reveal?

Stompy

Post by Stompy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 am

Interesting idea - that would mean it would truly be a random lynching D1 :lol:

oh and sign me up :D

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 pm

No role reveal is tough with 2 Wolves though. Usually, it's used in a 1 Wolf game, just to give the Wolf a chance to pretend to be some other role.

Usually, in a game with no role reveal with more than 1 Wolf, there's some Villager role who can "speak to the dead" and discover what the role of the previously killed people are.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 pm

christianmoura wrote:I'm in. How about a game where the players don't know what the roles are befor the game starts, but it is still a role reveal?
Excellent idea! We already roughly know all the available roles there are. It'll be a chaotic fun!

redturtle

Post by redturtle » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:45 pm

I am in.

I agree with the role reveal. I think tension builds as you know who is dead or not. If you dont know who is left then it is still a little random at the end and gives 2 player wolves a hugh atvantage.

Bring it on!
Get a grip!

jeff

Post by jeff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:33 pm

I was thinking about including a bodyguard role to counter the no role reveal but I'm unsure on the balance.

Also the masons could be a powerful force for the villagers but they have to keep their roles secret.

Anna, what are your thoughts?

jeff

Post by jeff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

One other change I'll make is to have deadlines at 10am. this will allow Fernando access as well as everyone else and he won't have to use the proxy vote.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Here are some ideas:

- Jeff makes a list of possible roles which *might* be in the game. He distributes the roles, but players only know the role they are given, they don't know what other roles are distributed. For example, there could be 1, 2 or 3 wolves. There might be one hunter, or none. There might be 2 plain vanilla villagers, or none at all - everyone has a special role, etc. When a player dies, their role is revealed.

- As above, but Jeff makes up names for the roles, but nobody is quite sure what each role is capable of. For instance, he might say that one of the roles is a "Pirate". But no one knows what the Pirate actually does, or if he is on the good or evil side (except the player who gets this Role). The role and powers are revealed at death. Players can make false or true claims as to who they are, and what powers they have.

jeff

Post by jeff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 pm

I was thinking about something like that. MafiaScum wiki has a variable starting option. Maybe I can just do something like that?

The standard options are
* 2 Mafia, 1 Cop, 1 Doc, and 3 Townies
* 2 Mafia, 1 Cop and 4 Townies
* 2 Mafia, 1 Doc and 4 Townies
* 2 Mafia and 5 Townies

(Doc is bodyguard role, cop is seer.)

I like christian's idea of not knowing the exact details of the roles until you receive a PM. Sounds like a recipe for mayhem!

jttm80

Post by jttm80 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Cool. Count me in.

annawid

Post by annawid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Masons are a very strong addition to village especially in such a small game (8 players). You'll have a seer, 2 masons and the seer's view, 3 or 4 saves Day 1. In my opinion, too strong.

No role reveal for 2 wolves in an 8-player game is too strong for the wolves as proven by the Marines game.

Not knowing what roles are available in a game is good, but village must always know how many wolves there are. You can make it 1 wolf but give him help with a sorcerer and a tinker who is a villager but if viewed by the seer will look like a wolf.

Will PM you stuff to read Jeff.
Back and ready to game

annawid

Post by annawid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:00 pm

You can also have 1 werewolf who once per game can make another person a wolf. You can have masons then who may be converted to a wolf so the other mason cannot trust his partner after N1. That may balance the masons.
Back and ready to game

Fernando

Post by Fernando » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 pm

I am in