Werewolf game - GAME ENDS ON NIGHT 2! WOLVES WIN!

Play by Email games in progress.
TaleSpinner

Werewolf game - GAME ENDS ON NIGHT 2! WOLVES WIN!

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:59 am

Anyone interested in playing Werewolf in these forums? I don't mind being the Moderator, but we'll need at least 8 players.

The rules are simple, very similar to "Mafia" if you've played it before. But simply put:

All players are in one village. In this village, a number of people are werewolves. Every night, the werewolves kill one person. Every day, the villagers (including the wolves, who are now no more suspicious than any other villager) discuss who is to blame for this, and lynch one of them.

Some people will have special abilities, which are decided by the game host. (me, in this case) We have the following possibilities:

The Seer will have a vision every night, in which he sees the exact role of one person. The seer will be granted the vision the moment he asks for it, and if that person is converted by the wolves later that night, the seer will not know.
The Guardian Angel will protect one person from all harm during one night. He may not protect a person three times in a row though. (optional)
The Vigilante may decide to take up his axe and kill someone instantly. He may do this at any time, but he must PM me and I will post what happens. If he wishes to kill someone during the night, it will happen at the same time as any and all other nightly events. He may kill someone only once per game. (optional)
The Hunter gets to kill one person when he gets killed himself. He has to name the player, though, and he can't just say "the person who killed me". (optional)
The Priest can empty a flask of holy water over a person who's about to get lynched once per game. Wolves will get killed by the water while everyone else will stand. No lynching is done that day. (optional)

The Wolves have one special trick-once per game they may collectively decide to turn a villager without a role into a Wolf. If they use this on a person with a special role, however, they waste it and don't get another shot. This action will only be used at night and the wolves don't necessarily lose their kill by performing it.

Special roles are NOT revealed at the start of the game. It's up to the players to decide when and if to reveal themselves.

People with special roles must discuss their actions with the game host! Only the game host is allowed to let one person to kill another, so any other attempts at murder will result in nothing.
Players with one-time-use special roles such as the priest and vigilante still count as special players once they've used their ability.

The wolves know who the other wolves (if any) are. The players won't know any role other than their own.

Discussion on who to lynch is the major part of the game. Everything is allowed. Talk to other people using PM, email, msn, anything you wish. Lie your *rse off if you wish to. Just don't expect them to believe you.

For someone to be lynched, they must get at least one fourth of the total possible votes. So if, with eight players, nobody has more than one vote, nobody gets lynched that day. If one-fourth of the votes is a decimal number (1.7, 3.5, ect.), it will be rounded to the nearest number (so 1.5 would be 2, 1.3 would be 1, 3.8 would be 4.)

If you cast a vote, post the name of the person you want dead in bold. Changed votes are NOT done by editing your posts. Just make a new post and list the old vote underlined and the new vote bold. That makes it easier for me to count them. Votes that do not follow these guidelines will not be counted.

Also, not voting two "days" in a row will result in death. So, voting is not only recommended but also obligatory. Votes for nobody are allowed, as long as they follow the same rules mentioned above.
(eg. I vote for Nobody because I don't have a clue)

When you are dead, you are allowed to keep posting for the day, just don't do so excessively, nor reveal any information you received and didn't tell people earlier on. I'll have to count on your honesty for this.

The game master decides when a day ends (and the person with the majority of votes is lynched) but must announce this at least 12 hours in advance to allow people to change their votes.

The game ends when either all wolves are dead, or when the number of wolves becomes greater or equal to the number of innocents. In the first case, all non-wolves win. In the second case, the wolves win.

That's basically all.

Sign-up list: (need at least 8 to start)
1. bsmith
2. annawid
3. Stompy
4. randy
5. funkiemark
6. hayden
Last edited by TaleSpinner on Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Lets do it. I'm in.

annawid

Post by annawid » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Me too.

Stompy

Post by Stompy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:27 pm

I'd be interested in giving it a go also (never played before though :) )
Paul.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Stompy wrote:I'd be interested in giving it a go also (never played before though :) )
Paul.
That's alright. As long as you can lie, deceive and back-stab, you'd do fine :p

A bit more about the game. Generally, each Game Day would take about 3-5 real days to get through, mainly so that everyone gets a chance to voice their opinions about who to lynch and cast their Votes. Game Days tend to get shorter as there are fewer survivors each Day. As mentioned above, I'll announce at least 12 hours before when the Game Day ends and Night starts. Game Nights tend to last 1-3 days, depending on how fast players PM their Night actions to me.

Day 1 usually starts with the Game Moderator (me) getting killed, after which everyone gets a chance to discuss and vote.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 pm

That is an awful lot of special roles....

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:12 pm

Mr Skeletor wrote:That is an awful lot of special roles....
Yeah, but they're all mostly "optional". The only mandatory roles are the "Seer", "Werewolves" and "Villagers". One of the challenges of hosting a good Werewolf game is balancing the game itself during startup. Personally, I think a balanced game has 20-25% wolves, with 35-40% Villagers and 35-40% Special Roles (Seer included).

So an 8-player game would have 2 Wolves, 1 Seer, 2 Special Roles, 3 Villagers. Allocating too many Special Roles would water down the Wolves' Convert ability - about a 50% chance for that ability to work in Night 1 is ideal.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Updated the first post to include a Sign-up list.

randy

Post by randy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:38 pm

I'll be in it, sounds like a hoot!

funkiemark

cool bananas..

Post by funkiemark » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:16 pm

I'm in. 8)

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 pm

Nice one. So we just need 3 more. Come on Skeletor, I know you want to!!

annawid

Post by annawid » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:37 pm

And Reggy and 'babe'(you know who you are) ;)

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Too much of a time killer for me.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:54 pm

BOM must be driving you poor bastards into the ground! Good to know my tax dollars are hrd at work :D

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:57 pm

bsmith wrote:BOM must be driving you poor bastards into the ground! Good to know my tax dollars are hrd at work :D
What tax dollars? You're an unemployed bum!